Luddie's Former Life ;)
Houston, the Shiny has landed.

By Luddie
The question now, ladies and gentlemen, is whether it is better to go to bed hungry, so that one can wake up and eat a healthy breakfast, or to eat more of tonight's chili, thus forestalling any desire to eat until noon the next day. The prospect of "more chili" lends itself to blind action rather than any sort of nutrition debate, unless one accounts for the Cinnamon Roll Factor. Now there lies a question for the ages...

So, as you can see, the blog is undergoing an identity crisis. I found a sweet new layout that I liked, but the XML made the blog explode entirely. It was completely inaccessible, so the tired and trusty standby lies before you.

Every so often I pause from an aimless side click on the internet to see an image that really strikes me. I should keep a catalog of these images because they would look sweet as posters. I think I really like pictures/art that feature famous people because I invest perfectly normal/casual pictures with additional meaning, knowing about the person's work.

I can't even remember what the last several pictures were, but the current one is on my desktop, beneath a flurry of icons, and it looks like this.

Fred_after_pub

That's a 1964 picture of college-age Freddie Mercury (far right) helping some friends home. Even without the name, I like the picture as a picture. It's happy and the buildings are very English.

It wasn't until rather recently that I realized several of my favorite songs from when I was small were actually written by this man and his band (Queen) -- songs like "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Who Wants to Live Forever," and "Barcelona." He had an amazing voice.

His compositions remain some of the most complex hits ever to be recorded, though he claims he hated his piano playing and never really learned the guitar, and even never read much music.

So, I just thought those were interesting random facts I learned recently.

This weekend, I get to see these fine fellows...

 

3 comments so far.

  1. abu 9/14/2007 5:16 PM
    fine fellows indeed. I like how they have the civilized world being destroyed by giant, smiling, bunny-robots.
  2. Karen 9/14/2007 10:53 PM
    I have also recently discovered that many of the songs I've liked for years happen to be Queen songs. I'm also discovering that I like many more of their songs that I had not heard before :-)

    So, I went to pick up a pizza the other day, and there was a kid there who looked exactly like you. It really freaked me out for a second...

    Thanks for the congrats about the job. I'll be praying you find one too!
  3. C. Bright 9/15/2007 3:47 PM
    Queen songs generally make me happie with their coolness and then sad because I learn that they are Queen.
    Like sinking your teeth into a nice chocolate and finding out that it's full of coconut.
    Bother.

Something to say?