Luddie's Former Life ;)
Houston, the Shiny has landed.

20 Questions about the Year 2006

By Luddie
This stolen from Abigail's blog...

1) Where were you when 2006 began?
Kokomo, Indiana, with me folks.

2) What was your least favorite moment of the year?
OK, just a warning... probably most of these answers are going to involve traveling, because those were some of the best (and worst) moments of the year. My least favorite moment was staying awake all night on the sidewalk at Gimpo Airport in Korea so that no one would steal my suitcases.


3) What was your favorite moment of the year?
Wow, so hard to decide. My first ascent of Mt. Lajuma was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen (a few pictures are on Flickr.) Also, probably the best feeling of 2006 was actually catching a flight from DC to Indianapolis that, by all accounts, I should have missed. I cannot begin to describe that feeling of relief. :D

Wow. My favorite and least favorite moments both involve airports. hahahah


4) What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 21 this year. It was just a normal school day at Handong, and nobody knew it was my birthday until someone happened to randomly ask that evening, and then my good pal Jin went and bought me a pizza and a few bottles of Pepsi.


5) Were you in a relationship in 2006?
Nope.


6) Did you breakup with anyone in 2006?
Nope.


7) Did you make any new friends in 2006?
Tons. But I don't speak to a lot of them any more. :(


9) What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Well, specific dates get into my head because they are flight dates, but other than those, I suppose the word August was in my thoughts a lot, because it was the month I would get to see my LETU friends after 8 months away.


9) Did you travel outside of the US in 2006?
Oh yes.


10) What was the best book you read?
I read a number of books I enjoyed. Probably my favorite was Casanova, by Andrew Miller. It is something of an historical novel. But I would say I fell in love with the author even more than the book. I am convinced that good writers just see the world in different terms and conceive ways to express that in terms most people enjoy, but cannot themselves create. Grammar and all that is secondary. Miller's writing is filled with things like that.


11) Did you miss anybody in the past year?
Yeah. Pretty much everybody I wasn't actually with. :D


12) What was your favorite movie that you saw in 2006?
I can't even remember the movies I've seen this year. I just found a list of 2006 movies, let me see... a lot of movies weren't particularly great for me, but there were a few a cut above the rest. I liked Crash and Inside Man. Cars was also pretty good. Oh, and seeing V for Vendetta in Pohang with Korean subtitles was pretty funny.


13) What was your favorite song from 2006?
Wow, way too many to pick one. But... just for the sake of picking something, I'll say Other Side of the World by KT Tunstall. I first heard it on the way to South Africa. I loved the sound and the words really clicked with where I was at the time... I forgot about the song until the flight back, and then I heard it again on the flight to Korea. So, for a month and a half, it was this wonderful little sad song that I only heard on airplane flights, until I got it in Korea.


14) Who were you most thankful for in 2006?
Probably the same answer as something like this I did last year... lots of people, my family of course. I also really appreciated andrew spencer this last semester, because he is one of the very, very, very few people who sticks with me and cares about how I'm doing even when I'm in a rotten mood.


15) What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
Eat at McDonald's multiple times in a week. :D


17) What was your most embarrassing moment of 2006?
I know I must've had some, but to be honest I can't really think of one. I think embarrasment comes when you are putting on airs, or trying to be someone you're not. If you are honest, then you apologize for mistakes... and then most embarrasments become mere misunderstandings.

Having said that, there was this time a month or two ago when I was talking to this girl I'd just met, and she said a few things that I interpreted to mean, she was pregnant. I never told her I thought this, but her friend found out and laughed at me to no end about it. But I thought it was more funny than embarrasing.


18) What valuable life lesson did you learn in 2006?
The best food and the most beautiful women of the world live in Uzbekistan.


19) What are your plans for 2007?
Compared with last year's plans, surprisingly little.


20) What were you doing when 2006 ended?
Laying on a chair beside my granny's pool, watching stars and listening to the fireworks and gunshots.
 

4 comments so far.

  1. Suzanne 1/03/2007 11:06 AM
    Ah, hearing gunshots for New Year ... I miss that!
  2. Charity 1/08/2007 11:03 PM
    I hate lonely comments.

    2006 was a year for traveling it seems...and changes. Which isn't all bad, ya know.

    Happy new year. :o)
  3. Anonymous 1/18/2007 4:08 AM
    I liked lesson #18 and happy that you really learned it =)
    John
  4. Anonymous 1/18/2007 4:08 AM
    I liked lesson #18 and happy that you really learned it =)
    John

Something to say?